Second Semester

Second+Semester

Briana Quiroga Flores , staff

A Guide on How to Make the Second Semester Better Than the First

Here we go, again! The second semester has just begun, and it is up to you to decide how it will go, but don’t be scared! Here are some tips and tricks on how to make it better than the first semester.

Tip 1: Stay Motivated and Set Goals 

Just because it is the second semester, it doesn’t mean it is time to slack! Aleena Islam, a student writer for fastweb.com stresses that “after an exhausting first semester, it can be easy to drop the ball when the new year rolls around. However, you’re already halfway done with the school year; don’t let yourself slack now!” Summer is just around the corner, but so are end-of-year finals and standardized tests. If you remain focused, you’ll get the test scores you dream and hope for. Is there any other better way to go into summer? There is no greater feeling than knowing that you tried your best, succeeded, and have earned your break, so, Titans, do whatever you have to in order to reach the finish line!

Tip 2: Go to All of Your Classes-Do Not Ditch! 

It might still be early on in the new semester, so you might think skipping a day or two or even more from school will do no harm, but you’re wrong! Skipping school will have a great impact on your grades and performance in the long run. If anything, now is the time to be taking advantage of the grade book because there is not much in there, so it’s easy to get points and boost your grade, but it’s also just as easy for it to go down if you do not complete assignments. The same goes for tests and quizzes. I highly suggest you show up to your classes, do your in-class work, and take your exams when given in class rather than having to make them up before or after school days or weeks after first learning the material. 

Tip 3: Stay Organized

Organization skills are essential to one’s life, every aspect of it. If you plan on succeeding, stay organized. There are no greater words of advice I could possibly give you. Staying organized will help you stay on top of every due date and upcoming test day. Buy a planner. Keep your assignments for one class separate from another. Do whatever works for you, but stay organized! Learning organization skills will help you in the long run!

Tip 4: Modify Your Note-Taking and Studying Skills 

If you didn’t get the grades you wanted last semester, and you feel as if you did everything possible to do so, maybe it’s because of the lack of note-taking and/or studying skills. Note-taking is a serious skill that comes in handy, especially if you plan on going to college, so take good notes. Perhaps, annotating and highlighting might make it easier for you to take in information from your lessons. If you don’t know how to study, try out different studying techniques. Flashcards might be your preferred method, or even Quizlets or Kahoots. There are many different studying approaches and apps that can help you, so do as you please.

Tip 5: Find A Better Study Place 

Have you ever just repeatedly found yourself asking yourself why you can’t get your homework done? If so, have you ever thought about your environment being the reason why you can’t focus? To stay focused and be productive, you need a quiet, peaceful environment. A good place to go and get work done is the school’s media center that is open from 7 am to 5pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays and from 7 am to 3 pm Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Some other options are Starbucks- one a bit further away from the school, or any other cafes or libraries. It might even be your room! If you can’t get out of your house, make the best of your space. Create your own vibe. Add candles, turn off the lights, buy a diffuser, play some music. Make it as quiet and as peaceful as you need it to be. 

Tip 6: Get Help as Soon as You Need It!

If you’re lost, don’t be afraid to ask questions! Get the help you need! Get tutoring, visit your teachers during their office hours, or form study groups with your peers and classmates if you don’t feel comfortable asking your teachers. If you need help, get it as soon as you can. Do not wait until finals come around again!

Tip 7 & 8: Don’t Over study, Branch Out, & Put Yourself First!

Don’t overwhelm yourself with your studies this time around; branch out! Make the best of your high school experience by joining clubs and sports, meeting new people, making new friends, and hanging out with your friends. It is just as important for you to do the things you love and socially thrive in as it is for you to do well academically. Prioritize yourself- your mind and body. According to Online Colleges, Scholarships, and Degree Programs, “Your brain needs rest and relaxation, just like your body, so make sure that you schedule social time in your week also.”

A new year and a new semester allow for self-reflection and change. If there are any things you wish you did or could have done differently in the first semester, now is the time to take control and make some changes. Change can be a good thing, so don’t worry, Titans, you’ve got this!