Is the CDC Wrong to Relax on Quarantine Restrictions?

Alison Miller, Staff Writer

The CDC is wrong to relax on quarantine regulations and recommendations. The CDC claims that it is okay to quarantine for 5 days after receiving a positive test of COVID-19, then mask around others for an additional 5 days. They state this is possible because “…the majority of SARS-CoV-2 transmission occurs early in the course of illness, generally in the 1-2 days prior to onset of symptoms and the 2-3 days after.” However, the virus is still contractible in the remaining 4-10+ days of the virus being in one’s system. Harvard Health states, “By the 10th day after COVID symptoms begin, most people will no longer be contagious, as long as their symptoms have continued to improve…”

The CDC had stated, “For most children and adults with symptomatic SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, infection, isolation, and precautions can be discontinued 10 days after symptom onset and after resolution of fever for at least 24 hours and improvement of other symptoms.” Now that cases are going up, why is the mandatory quarantine time lessening? This minimized quarantine period could easily be the result of spiked amounts of cases daily. On December 27, 2021 the quarantine recommendations were officially lessened by the CDC. The following week, the amount of recorded coronavirus cases spiked from 1,366 to 10,164.

An opponent that is for this shortened quarantine period may say that this minimized time is more convenient for those with full time jobs and high school or college students. However, this lessened time could put immunodeficient people, the elderly, or young children at greater risk of contracting COVID-19. If we are trying to get rid of this virus, why is the quarantine time decreasing?

All in all, the CDC should not endorse people to only quarantine for 5 days. If society wants to protect the immunodeficient, the elderly, children, or anyone, those who tested positive for COVID should be required to quarantine for 10 days until they have a negative test result.