Track & Field

Ellie Bonnette, Co-Editor-In-Chief

With the weather warming up and pre-season coming to an end, Thunderbird’s 2022 track and field team is in full motion.

The team has been practicing Monday through Friday, from 3-5 PM. The throwers primarily train in the weight room, whereas the jumpers, runners, and hurdlers train on the track as well as in the weight room. 

Coach Riney, Chandler, and Kai are returning for another great season, and the program is fortunate enough to have two new coaches join us: Coach Gill and Coach Past. 

The first meet was Wednesday, March 2nd at home and we ran against Apollo and Sunnyslope. Some highlights of the 1st meet include senior Jordan Bateman, jumped 18’2” and placed 2nd for long jump, and placed 3rd in triple jump. Additionally, senior Aaron Condon placed 1st in the 400m sprint, and junior Gage Davidson placed 1st in the 100m sprint. Junior Raegan Mickleson placed 1st in shot put as well. We are proud of all of our athletes for performing their best and Coach Riney explains that, “We have some great talent this year and we are excited to see it come through!” On March 10th, the team competed in the district relays. This exciting meet took place far earlier than years before, but we were able to compete in some fun relays like the 4×200, 800 sprint medley, and the hurdle shuttle. On Wednesday, March 23rd, the team headed on over to Cortez to compete against Cortez and Independence. Highlights from this meet include junior, Gage Davidson, once again placing 1st in the 100m sprint, senior, Ellie Bonnette placing 1st in the 300m hurdles, and senior, Trevion Booker placing 1st in the 300m and 100m hurdles. 

As the team is full of freshmen, they are anxious yet excited for this season. An anonymous freshman sprinter states, “I’m looking forward to trying  For the veterans of the team, being back on the track is a nostalgic feeling, and they are hoping for a season free of COVID interferences.