Venom Volleyball Club: Tragic Car Accident

Alison Miller , Staff Writer

On the way to Lone Star Classic, a Girls Junior National Qualifier for USA Volleyball, an SUV holding Venom Volleyball Club families hit black ice and tragically crashed. “With overwhelming pain in our hearts one of our athletes has sadly passed away. Two other athletes are in critical condition but stable and one former alumni traveling with them was severely injured but in stable condition,” states Venom Volleyball through Instagram. The volleyball community has come together as a unit to grieve the loss of Alexa Cruz, and pray for the fast recoveries of the two athletes still in critical condition, as well as their parents.  

The athletes’ coach was the first one to contact club members in Arizona about the incident. When interviewed about getting the call about the accident, club owner Jimmy Gonzalez said, “…I couldn’t understand what she was saying, she was just in tears,” he explained. “There’s been a tragic accident, and as I was asking for details, she couldn’t give many details. I said, ‘let me see if I can get some info, just try to remain calm.'”

The club held a vigil at CCV Avondale campus for the lost athlete. There were around 700 attendees, and the love from the volleyball community was outpoured for the Cruz family. “She impacted so many in her life and her death. At the Candlelight Vigil on Friday, many loved ones shared a message of tribute. Words often heard to describe her were kind, fun, determined, loyal, loving, faithful, encouraging, beautiful soul, and angel who got her wings,” states Venom Volleyball Club on Instagram. A GoFundMe, where you can find at https://gofund.me/699b0349, set up by the club has raised almost $200,000, and any and all donations are greatly appreciated. To conclude, the volleyball community is still in mourning over the lost athlete, and any donations to help the relief fund are greatly appreciated.