Mental Health Days in School

Mental Health Days in School

Rosa Shvartsman, Staff Writer

“Burnout is nature’s way of telling you, you’ve been going through the motions your soul has departed,” said Sam Keen, an American author, and philosopher. To start, mental health days are days where a student may not feel physically sick but are used to recharge educational burnout. Students may need mental health days due to him or their struggling with mental health issues, and post quarantine laziness. Mental health days are vital to a student’s health and learning capabilities to know when to take breaks and relax. 

“Mental health days can be positive for any child,” says Allison Dubinski, an LCSW at the Child Mind Institute. Students who struggle with mental health issues tend to feel anxious and depressed during the learning week causing a dwindling academic performance. Furthermore, studies show that in this past year 30% of students have been feeling depressed, and as of 2020-2021 40% of students reported they felt burnout. Mental health days ultimately support healthy well-being and strive and benefit each student with the feeling of being relaxed. Mental health day activities may consist of sleeping in, spending time with loved ones, or even excerising. All in all, mental health days should be proved for students to not only catch up on work but to relax. 

In conclusion, mental health days are vital to a student’s health due to stress and pressure being put on them on a day-to-day basis. Arizona High Schools need to give students mental health days to recharge from the stress undergone in a regular school week.