How to keep grades up for the last quarter

Neely Burns, Editor in Chief

With the end of the year rapidly approaching, many students are scrambling to achieve the grades they want. Although leaping from an F to an A in the last few weeks may be nearly impossible to achieve, there are still some things you can do to raise your grades before the semester ends.

First, there are some things you can do on your own to improve your grade if you don’t want to connect with others. You can start by making up any missing assignments you may have, or redoing tests/assignments you may have gotten a poor score on. If you are unsure about what these scores could be, check the gradebook! You can also of course study hard for any tests, especially if they are final exams. As final exams are generally weighted heavier than most other assignments and tests, they can be very useful in achieving the grades you want. As the National Society of High School Scholars explains, “Though finals are often stressful and you might have a lot going on at the end of your school year, you’ll need to find a way to make final exams a priority in order to improve your grades.” To know what score you need on a final exam to get the score you desire, go to the Roger Hub Final Grade Calculator and input your class’s information.

There are additional ways to bring your grade up if you are willing to talk to a teacher. As the National Society of High School Scholars states, “Communication is important, because when your teacher knows you are working hard to improve your grade, he or she can help you get there.” Asking your teacher what you can do to improve your grade is by far the most useful step you can take, as no one knows how to bring up a grade more than the person who has the ability to do just that. Through this you can look for extra credit as well, which many teachers are willing to give, especially if you ask sooner rather than later. The bottom line is, if you are truly concerned about earning the grade you want, asking your teachers is the best possible method.

The final way to have a chance to improve your grade is to reach out to friends or peers. Generally, if you don’t understand a topic, assignment, or want help studying for a test, others are willing to help you. They are also often the most accessible to you, whether that be through text, social media, or just seeing them daily at school.

It is almost never too late, but it is time to take action. Fight for the grades you want, and don’t lose focus! Summer is almost here!