Hannah’s High School Experience

Hannah Collier, Editor

I vividly remember sitting in the auditorium on my first day of freshman year thinking how long these four years of high school would be. In my head, four years felt like a century. How could I possibly survive four whole years of high school? I look back on this core memory and cannot help but giggle because these years have truly flown by. 

My high school experience started off extremely normal. I joined the swim team and a few clubs. I was extremely involved within my school life. I would recommend this to any student: get involved! Joining teams and clubs makes it so easy to make new friends. I personally met my two best friends through my involvement. 

During my sophomore year, COVID hit. I spent the next year and a half doing online school. This was never a challenge for me. I personally loved online school. 

I don’t have much to add about my junior year because I spent the entirety of it in my bedroom. 

Senior year has been one of the most difficult years of my life. As the summer concluded and school started, my mental health completely deteriorated. I was more depressed than I have ever been before. Getting out of bed was nearly impossible for me. Truly all I wanted was to die. I told my parents about my mental health issues and they were so supportive. They took me out of school and enrolled me in online school so I could put all my effort into getting better. I am truly one of the luckiest people ever to have such incredible, empathetic parents. I would not be where I am today without them. 

Along with prescribed medication, I have spent the last eight months in therapy learning to fall back in love with life again. I am not where I want to be, but I am getting there. I am constantly learning new skills that assist me and my healing process. I am so beyond proud of myself and how far I have come. 

Please never be ashamed for putting yourself and your mental health first. You are the only person that will never leave your side. As cheesy as it sounds, be yourself and do what makes you happy. You deserve all the joy life has to offer. This is all I have to say. Thank you for everything you taught me, Thunderbird High School. Peace out.