Tips For Ninth Graders

Alison Miller, Staff Writer

Are you a freshman? Need help navigating ninth grade? Here are a few tips and tricks to help you in your first year of high school. Get homework done, put aside time to destress, ask for help when needed, and don’t block the walkways. 

Homework is hard, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t do it. Do your homework with free time in classes, so that you’ll have more time to have fun after school! To add to that, if you have homework over the weekend, do it on Friday night. You’ll thank yourself later. It may only be worth 10-30% of your grade, but the missing assignments will add up. With that, know your due dates, and always do your homework. Late is better than never! A great way to stay on top of everything and keep organized is a to-do list, never underestimate them. 

“Don’t stop in the middle of the walkway. You’ll bump into people and everyone has to take the time to walk around you,” advises an anonymous junior. With that, know where you’re going ahead of time. Hallways get very crowded, and with COVID cases going up, keep walking. It saves you and the people around you time between classes. 

Going in to see teachers before or after school may be a hassle, but failing an important test is an even bigger one. If you’re confused, ask for help! Considering this, EOP Wednesdays are a great opportunity to get extra help. Your teachers are there to help you, and they want you to succeed, utilize their help!

Students’ mental health is a subject that should be talked about more frequently. In light of that, Mghclaycenter.org states, “Mindful meditation has proven to change the structure and function of the brain, and it’s a fabulous way to promote relaxation while reducing anxiety, depression, and stress.” Always remember, mental health is extremely important. Meditation is a great way to unwind at the end of the day, or start the day off on a positive note. Keep mental health at one of your biggest priorities. It’s a great way to succeed. Kidshealth.org suggests, “Taking a short break between assignments can help your mind stay fresh and focused.” Take short breaks during study sessions, they can help you clear your head, and get even more focused on the task at hand. Plus, everyone needs a mental break from the piles of homework. 

All in all, the first year of high school can be pretty stressful. Make sure you’re taking as much mental strain off of yourself as possible: don’t procrastinate, utilize your teachers’ help, etc. Happy freshman year!