COVID in Schools

Neely Burns, Editor-in-Chief

With the new Delta Variant in full swing, COVID is still among us in both our communities and our schools. In order to keep schools and businesses open, it is necessary to implement certain precautionary measures throughout our lives. Thunderbird is doing just that, creating its own requirements in the hope for a return to normalcy.

In terms of both masks and vaccinations here at Thunderbird, both are not necessary as of now. The only time that masks are mandated is if you are riding a bus to or from school. However, as GUHSD states, “… GUHSD is not able to mandate the use of masks. While we cannot mandate masks, we strongly recommend that everyone on GUHSD campuses follow the CDC masking recommendations.” The Glendale Union High School District is also committed to doing its part to keep students safe, saying, “The plan to keep our schools safe includes upgraded ventilation systems, hand washing and respiratory etiquette, staying home when sick, contact tracing in combination with quarantine and isolation, and cleaning and disinfecting.”

At this point in the semester, a great deal of students have caught COVID, but not to fear, because GUHSD has a plan in place. Our school is utilizing contact tracing, meaning that anyone who was seated within six feet of an infected person is called to the office. Per CDC guidelines, what occurs after this depends on your vaccination status. For vaccinated individuals, you may return to school so long as you aren’t experiencing any symptoms, but it is highly recommended to wear a mask indoors for 14 days after exposure. This time wearing a mask indoors can be shortened if you test negative for COVID 3-5 days after exposure. These same guidelines apply to a student who already had COVID within three months of their exposure. However, if you are unvaccinated this is a different story. If you are having no symptoms, you will be quarantined and allowed to get tested on day five of quarantine and return to school on day seven if you tested negative. If you choose to not get tested, you will return to school on day 10. For any student that tests positive, you must stay home for 10 days and be symptom free for at least 24 hours before returning to school.

In these trying times, Thunderbird and the rest of the district are trying to make life as safe and normal as possible, but they can’t do it alone. By taking your own preventative measures, we can aid in the effort to make this school year as normal as possible. So please, if you have the means, get vaccinated, and wear a mask when in an unsafe area. Thank you!