Fixing Your Sleep Schedule

Rosa Shvartsman, Staff Writer

Many struggle with mental health, or even with the stress of everyday hassles many try to escape reality with a good night’s rest. Others however have trouble sleeping and keeping a well kept schedule. Sleep is incredibly important for a human’s mental and physical health as it induces better behavior, creates habit, and immensely benefits productivity and the quality of work being done. 

Lack of sleep is particularly common among young adults. Studies show that 73% of high school students have difficulty sleeping and meeting the 8-10 hour sleep requirement. Additionally 23.8% of highschoolers are diagnosed with insomnia. Correspondingly, 1 in 5 young adults deal with mental health disorders that prevent them from having a comfortable sleep. Furthermore, lack of sleep can also be a cause of stress, anxiety, and an irregular sleep schedule. 

Jeremi Orchab, assistant professor at Jagiellonian University, set out a study on people who are sleep deficient. “The study participants were asked to purposely restrict their sleep for 10 days”, says Jeremi Orchab. While the participants went through Jeremi Orchab’s study, the sleep patterns of the participants were examined, as well as electroencephalography, work quality, and reaction time. A great start to trying to fix a sleep schedule in 10 days is to go to bed early enough to get a full 8-10 hours of sleep. To ensure a goodnight’s sleep, try setting your room to a cool temperature, and comfortable light setting. It’s important to sleep at a cool but not cold room temperature because as we sleep our body temperature drops and a cool room will help maintain the internal temperature level our body gives off. 

Being able to relax both mentally and physically is a major contributor to falling asleep easily”, says sleepfoundation.org. Relaxation may be hard to manage but can be achieved by meditating, listening to music, or any other activity that may bring you peace and joy. Being relaxed is a key part of sleeping as stress, anxiety, and muscle tension can lead to insomnia which will make it more difficult to get your sleep schedule on track. 

“Exercise, in particular, will help deal with the physical and psychological effects of the lockdown”, says healthline.com. Post pandemic exhaustion occurs when one is in a state of exhaustion due to pandemic restrictions. Exercising can help combat insomnia and feeling the need of using sleep medication like melatonin. Studies have shown exercises like aerobics can give off the same effects as sleeping pills, and getting into a physical activity can help tire your muscles to get rid of tension that may occur from stress. 

”Early to bed early to rise makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise”, says Benjamin Franklin. In conclusion, many struggle with mental health which prevents them from maintaining a set sleep schedule, but setting aside 7-10 days to try adjusting light and room temperature, finding activities that help you relax, and physical activity will help to ensure a goodnight’s sleep.  All and all sleep is tremendously important for a young adult’s mental health as we are all still growing and developing into our adult selves.