We Know What You Did

Megan Mannelly, Managing Editor

Hello there, reader. You may be thinking about all the things you have done that keep you awake at night. All of those embarrassing moments in Middle School. Well. We know them. We know what you did. Did you fall during an assembly, perhaps, or did you wear fox ears for half of your middle school career? Well… We know everything. We saw everything.

Did that give you anxiety? Well, you wouldn’t be the only one. It’s a pretty universal experience to be hit with a wave of embarrassment at the most random of times and boy does it suck. This is actually a psychological phenomenon. Although sometimes embarrassment can keep us awake at night, it can be constructive as well. It helps us examine our past behaviors, thoughts, and beliefs. “Group living has been important to us for a long time, and even if you don’t intentionally want to violate a social norm, you sometimes do. Embarrassment serves the function of immediately and strongly displaying, ‘Oops, I didn’t mean to do that,’” says Christine Harris, Ph.D., a psychologist at the University of California, San Diego. Many students have admitted to feeling the dread of embarrassment, “I do feel embarrassment. It feels like everyone is judging you for a mistake. Then sometimes I will try to sleep and yet I get memories of times I said or did something that makes me cringe. It’s a good but dreadful thing. It helps you improve and makes you see how much you grew as a person,” explains Gabriel Vargas,  a Thunderbird High School senior.

Though, not all embarrassment is constructive. Like everything on this green earth, it can quickly turn into a threat to our overall health and wellbeing as embarrassment causes us to act in irrational ways. “The line between embarrassment and shame is very thin.” States Psychology Today, “Which then, can turn into humiliation.” Of course, shame and humiliation are two things we all experience, but too much of them can lead to dangerous anxiety disorders. “Teenagers today, I feel like, are growing more and more anxious. With legitimate anxiety disorders that require accommodations in the classroom,” one such teacher describes. This, along with the fact that social media can deify some of our most abhorrent moments makes for a hard time getting through our awkward teenage years.

However, don’t fear. You are not the only one who experiences embarrassment or shame. One such anonymous tiktok user said, “I once brought my python on public transit. No one noticed. No one noticed that I had my (actually decent sized) noodle puppy in my bag.” That seems to be the case in most stories. The one who cares the most about what you did in the past is you. Many other students have alike experiences, such as senior Kailey Smith, “I wore fox ears all year in middle school. It made me happy at the time but now-” she slowly devolved into nervous laughter. 

No one will remember your angry rants about aliens as a twelve-year-old or the fact that you used to write fan-fiction about emo shadow wolves. 

So, dear reader, I will leave you with this. Don’t be afraid of judgment because life is fleeting. If you want to wear your pajamas to school, wear them. Want to Naruto run across campus? I’ll race you. Be safe and remember; no one will care in a year, you do you.