Olivia Rodrigo’s Debut Album; SOUR

Olivia Rodrigos Debut Album; SOUR

Andrea Fabian , Staff Writer

Recently, Olivia Rodrigo, known for her role as NiNi in Disney Plus’ ‘High School Music: the Musical: the Series’, shocked her generation after the release of her first single detached from Disney’s influential name. She’d already been known as a singer for the hit song ‘All I Want’ from her Disney Plus show, but the single ‘Driver’s License’ really push-started her career as a singer and songwriter.

Jon Caramanica, a reporter for the New York Times, wrote“…she’s nailed the agony of collapse, and the anxiety of watching your old partner rebuild.” Her album, SOUR, mainly focuses on the feelings of heartbreak and the emotions of dealing with an ex partner moving on, and Rodrigo has a way of getting those feelings across through her voice. Very soon after its release, ‘Drivers License’ was number one on many, many music charts. It grew at an alarming rate, eventually reaching a grand total of one billion streams on just Spotify alone. 

Olivia Rodrigo is among many of the Disney stars who eventually tried to pursue a music career. Alongside Selena Gomez, Demi Lovato, and Miley Cyrus, Rodrigo certainly showed the world how much talent she has in the music industry. Not long after the release of her album, she broke a record set by Taylor Swift as the first female artist to get eight songs on the top ten charts at once. She’d just been introduced to the harsh world of music and she already was gaining the recognition she deserved. Katie Garner at udreview.com says, “She has proved, perhaps better than anyone ever has, that she is not just a Disney star, but a force to be reckoned with in the music industry.”

“But, fortunately, ‘SOUR’ proves that Rodrigo is more than a one-hit-wonder and has an exciting career in front of her.” Desmonde Leak, georgiastatesignal.com, wrote. 

As a former Disney star, and current Disney Plus star, Rodrigo has definitely shown the world that she is capable of so much more than just a lead in a hit show, and that she has earned her place in the world as an artist. Many people who were fans of SOUR, and even its critics, are excited to see what the future holds for the teenager.