Swimming Towards State

Neely Burns, Editor-In-Chief

Thunderbird’s swim team has had a greatly successful season! Winning almost all of their meets is certainly an impressive feat, as is performing well in their championship meets.

On October 5, the team had their senior night, where they wished their 14 seniors farewell. This is one of the largest senior classes the team has had in several years, and it will be hard for them to leave at the end of the year. The team celebrated well at their meet against Apollo High School that night, where the boys won 109:67 and the girls additionally won with a whopping 129:40. Great job swimmers!

A few days later, the team swam against Shadow Mountain, additionally beating the team 94:75 for the girls and 98:69 for the boys. They finished off the main part of their season with a meet against Greenway. The girls beat Greenway 97:78, but the boys just barely missed the mark of winning with a score of 89:86, losing by just 3 points.

This took the Titans to their District meet. In this, the swimmers had one last chance to swim hard and achieve qualifying times for state. The meet took place over two days, with prelims on the first day, and the top 16 people in each event qualifying for finals the following day. Medalists in their individual events on this finals day include Lucas Reymore (2nd place in the 200 freestyle and 1st in the 500 freestyle), Neely Burns (1st in the 200 individual medley and 1st in the 100 breastroke), Beezer Geer (2nd in the individual medley and 4th in the 100 butterfly), Jenna Fredenberg (3rd in the 50 freestyle), Jack Born (2nd in the 50 freestyle and 2nd in the 100 freestyle), Dylan Campbell (3rd in the 100 butterfly), Marley Baker (3rd in the 500 freestyle), and Levi Melin (3rd in the 500 freestyle). Overall, Thunderbird got 2nd place in the meet, losing only to Sunnyslope, a Division 1 school, while Thunderbird is Division 2.

After putting up a great showing in districts, the Titans got to send a great deal of swimmers to the state championship meet, where they got to compete against all other Division 2 high schools. All 6 of the team’s relays qualified for the meet, and swimmers Jack Born (senior), Lucas Reymore (junior), Neely Burns (senior), and Beezer Geer (freshman) qualified in individual events as well. Everyone swam in prelims, with Jack getting 27 in his 100 freestyle and 32 in his 50 freestyle, Lucas getting 26 in his 500 freestyle, and Beezer getting 25 in her 200 individual medley. The relays all swim their fastest in prelims as well. In the end, Neely and 3 of the relays made it to finals the following morning. The relays making finals were the girls 200 medley relay and 200 freestyle relay, with Marley Baker, Neely Burns, Beezer Geer, and Jaya Johnson, both gaining 16th place, as well as the boys 400 freestyle relay, which secured 14th place, with Levi Melin, Jack Born, Dylan Campbell, and Lucas Reymore. Neely Burns made it to finals in both her 200 individual medley and her 100 breaststroke, both of which she was expected to get 4th going into the race. She ended up however getting 3rd in her 200 IM, achieving a time that broke her old school record, and maintaining 4th place in the 100 breaststroke and gaining a new school record. Excellent job Titans!

All in all, it has been an exciting season for Thunderbird swimming. They sent a large number of people to the state meet and put up an excellent showing in the District swim meet. Great season Titans! We look forward to seeing them swim again next year.