Governor Doug Ducey Issues a Moment of Silence

Ian Johnson, Editor

As the 2022-2023 school year rolls into action, Arizona Governor Doug Ducey has issued a moment of silence. Here is  what this means and what it will look like for Arizona schools. 

When Thunderbird High School began its first day of school on August 8, 2022 many students were puzzled when Principal Latham announced this news. Parents were previously emailed to notify them of this new bill, though it seems many students were still unaware. Titans have been questioning the reason behind this moment of silence. Governor Doug Ducey reported , “As we’re working to get Arizona kids refocused in the classroom, we should also work to get them refocused emotionally.” 

On April 12, 2022, Governor Ducey signed into legislation the moment of silence, formally known as H.B. 2707, at the Arizona State Capitol. According to the governor’s website, azgovernor.org, religious and community leaders joined the governor along with House Speaker Rusty Bowers. H.B. 2707 ensures that all Arizona public and charter schools designate a  minute at the beginning of each school day for silence. During this time students can pray, meditate, reflect, and relax. The Challenge asked THS senior Kimberly Rivas what her thoughts were on this new bill. She reports, “ Personally, I find it a bit useless. However, I’m usually tired, so it allows me some quiet time while I reflect on how the day will go.” On the contrary, senior Von Fenn shares, “I think it’s a great idea to show respect to fallen soldiers with a moment of silence.”  

Thunderbird High School starts the first period with a moment of silence everyday and will continue to do so unless told otherwise by the state legislature. Many Titans use this time to take a few deep breaths, collect their thoughts, and prepare for the day ahead. Whatever students choose to do is up to them.