The Benefits of ESL Programs

Photo by West Hempsted Public Library

Students vary in many different ways but such things as conversations, lessons, writing notes, and so on may be difficult for those who grew up doing everything in the language traditional to their culture rather than English; the most common language spoken in The United States.  It is important to recognize the difference in education between students having to adjust to English and those who have only ever known it. 

There is also research claiming that bilingual students have many benefiting factors, such as executive functioning, multitasking, and increases in math and reading performance. Although for students that may know little to no English moving to a school like Thunderbird may be challenging. This is on top of adding on more work to be able to understand the lessons or just conversation between peers. 

However there are ESL (English as a Second Language) classes for this reason that are meant to help these students specifically. In these classes they review conjugations and often use adjectives to start. In a way reversing the process of your normal Spanish for students whose mother language may be English, in order to ease students into understanding. This will overall better prepare them in order to ease the transition and intake of knowledge from one language to another.