Man Attacks Judge

Man Attacks Judge

On January 3, 30 year old Deobra Redden attacked Judge Mary Kay Holthus during a sentencing.

Judge Holthus read out Redden’s charges to his defense attorney, to which he asked for some leniency; believing he could successfully complete probation without any issues.

“I appreciate that,” the judge replied, “but I think it’s time that he get a taste of something else because – I just can’t, with that history.”

Just then, Redden rushed towards the judicial bench, leaping over it to attack Judge Holthus by punching her, pulling her hair, hitting her head against the wall, and screaming profanities at her. The police pulled him off of her and escorted both of them out of the courtroom, where the next day Judge Holthus arrived back to sentence Redden for his original charges of a baseball bat attack from last year.

“Once he knew she was about to sentence him to prison, (Redden) did leap over defense counsel table into the well of the courtroom, thereafter rushing towards the judicial bench and jumping over it ‘superman’ style directly into Judge Mary Kay Holthus’s judicial space, landing directly on top of her and immediately attacking Judge Mary Kay Holthus by grabbing her, pulling her hair, placing his hands around her throat and/or hitting her on the head,” the criminal complaint constructed by many witnesses mentions.

On Redden’s arrest report, he told officers that he did try to kill the judge, and he was having a bad day.