The Student News Site of Thunderbird High School

The Challenge

The Challenge

The Challenge

Picture of people’s conditions during the war in Gaza
The War in Gaza
April 22, 2024

Titans Boys Soccer Wrapping Up A Successful Season

Boys Soccer showcased their talent this year with an impressive 11-1 record, winning their region, and ranking 5th in the 4A high school division. With all these achievements Coach Mearig is beyond proud of his players this season. Coach Mearig stated, “These young men never fail to amaze me.”

The team’s season ended in the second round of the state playoffs with a loss to Salpointe Catholic High School, 0-7. It was a rough loss for the team, but it was still an overall impressive season for these young men. 

In addition to an impressive team record and a deep run into the playoffs, some of these young men got the recognition they deserved.  Senior Forwards Brian Costa, Jack Trinh, and senior midfielder Victor Gonzalez all received the honor of making the All-region first team. For the All-Region second team, Junior defender Mathew Hernandez, Senior midfielder Isaac Garcia Quinteros, and Junior midfielder Miguel Fierro were all selected. Most impressively, Brian Costa not only made the All-Region first team but also earned the Regional Offensive Player of the Year. Costa is an outstanding player who helped his team score and win in every way possible.

Every successful team needs a great coach, and Thunderbird’s very own Coach Mearig earned Region Coach of the Year by leading his team to the second round of the state playoffs and only losing one game this season. Senior captain Brian Costa had this to say about his time with Coach Mearig. “Through good and bad times we have always prevailed and Coach Mearig always made me feel like he had faith in us winning any game.” This shows how truly impactful Coach Mearig was to his players.

Boys Soccer had a fantastic season of 11-1. In comparison, the last time Thunderbird boys soccer had an 11-win season was in 2014. Even though they ultimately fell short, they still accomplished so much and exceeded all expectations put on them.