The Student News Site of Thunderbird High School

The Challenge

The Challenge

The Challenge

Usher’s Nostalgic Super Bowl Halftime Show 2024

Photo of Usher and Alicia Keys hugging. From “People”

Although the Super Bowl was the main event, Usher’s performance at the 2024 halftime show in Las Vegas was the perfect addition to the game. For guest stars, he brought out legends Alicia Keys, H.E.R., Jermaine Dupri, Lil Jon, and Ludacris. 

“He played his best songs, so I liked it. Toward the middle of the performance, Usher and his dancers glided around the stage on roller skates. He had an outfit change right before, and the performance picked up speed with his more upbeat and popular songs played at the end of his halftime show.” says MacKenzie Lackey. The Usher setlist was a good one. He did other mixes with his songs “Superstar” and “Love in This Club”, two of his popular hits before bringing out Alicia Keys. 

“[She] had just appeared, in a sequined red jumpsuit and matching encrusted gown, and rather gratuitously flubbed the opening note of her hit piano ballad “If I Ain’t Got You.”She recovered, and as she approached the end of the chorus, you could hear Usher singing in quiet harmony as the camera panned back, settling on the two of them at opposite ends of Keys’s piano.” The New York Times states. Adding Alicia Keys was a superior move. Her singing “If I Ain’t Got You” to open up her entrance was a beautiful sight. The two were a hit with their song “My Boo” back in the 2000s and still are. 

However, towards the end of the pair’s performance, Usher was seen getting a little affectionate with Alica, hugging her from behind. This added a little heart-melting moment for fans! 

He is then seen pointing at the crowd and says “They said I wouldn’t make it.” directed to his mother. For the next few minutes, he brings out H.E.R.  to do a solo guitar performance with her song “Bad Girl”. “They said I wouldn’t make it,” he told the crowd, dedicating the set to his “mama.” Bringing out different artists so that the crowd would get variety was very thoughtful of Usher. Usher switched out to 2000’s vibes with Lil Jon and Ludacris performing “Turn Down for What” and “Yeah!” was an iconic appearance.  “As many Usher fans anticipated, he indeed stripped off his jacket to showcase those famous abs during “U Got it Bad,” which was augmented by a searing guitar solo from a catsuit-clad H.E.R. Of course, Usher’s beloved skating routine was a highlight, as he turned the stadium into a party zone with “OMG,”” Journalist Melissa Ruggieri says.  Usher taking his shirt off during the middle of the performance may have caused a few ruckus in relationships as it was very spicy. However, Usher’s performance, dances, outfit changes, and collaborators made the Super Bowl a very interesting game.