The Student News Site of Thunderbird High School

The Challenge

The Challenge

The Challenge

Picture of people’s conditions during the war in Gaza
The War in Gaza
April 22, 2024

The Watcher: They Are Always Watching

The Watcher: They Are Always Watching
Netflix

The Watcher follows the story of a father, Dean Brannock, who moves his wife, Nora, and his kids, Carter and Ellie, into a brand new house: 657 Boulevard. Though it is a big adjustment for the four, the house all seems to bring them together. Soon after, the Brannocks get a taste of their odd and quirky neighbors who have strong opinions about the dumbwaiter located in their house. One character in particular, Jasper, loves to sleep and play in said dumbwaiter. Once Dean reveals he is making changes to 657 Boulevard, not only are his neighbors enraged, but he starts receiving letters. Letters by a person named The Watcher. While trying to figure out who this stalker is, Dean begins to run wild as he and his family continuously receive threats and intimidation tactics.

I think the creators, Murphy and Brennan, did a great job at keeping the atmosphere tense, weird, and strangely uncomfortable. Arguably, it’s the neighbors that maintain an offbeat ambiance. Pearl, Dean’s red-headed associate, is by far the most estranged. Her mangled appearance shapes her as sort of crazy and untrustworthy. Mo and her husband, Mitch, may come off as an innocent, happy couple, but once worked up, they could be your worst enemy. Mo’s sarcastic yet threatening tone molds her into a potential concern until she and her husband are randomly found dead. With every twist and turn, Murphy and Brennan leave you with constant questions of: Who did it? And Why are the Brennocks being watched? What is their secret?