The Student News Site of Thunderbird High School

The Challenge

The Challenge

The Challenge

Picture of people’s conditions during the war in Gaza
The War in Gaza
April 22, 2024

10 Tips for a Healthy Lifestyle

Source: myself, picture taken at Vasa Fitness Gym

Life can be unpredictable, hectic, and messy. We don’t always have the time to do the things we want to do or the things we know we should. But prioritizing the things that truly matter will help you lead a life you love in every decade. Aging is a part of life, but that doesn’t mean you have to let your health fade away with time. Taking care of your body and mind can help you continue to enjoy the opportunities that life can bring.

A healthy lifestyle is a way of living your life that helps you feel good physically, mentally, and emotionally

When we take care of our mind and body, we can feel our best and seize the possibilities of life. As you think about all the things you can do to create a healthy lifestyle, consider your reasons behind it. Eventually, this can help you identify your intrinsic motivation, or the drive to do, see, and accomplish things that come from within yourself.

A healthy lifestyle, while it may seem restrictive, can actually help you live your life to its fullest, whether you’re 16 or 60. Healthy living can help you:

• Avoid disease and pain
  • Maintain a good mood
  • Keep life fun
  • Preserve your energy levels

Here are some tips to help you start a healthy lifestyle

1. Make healthy food choices

Is it important to make smart choices in the food we eat, balancing them.  You should eat vegetables and fruit rather than sugars and fats.

1. Find a movement that you enjoy

Don’t forget that sports is one of the main points in order to have a healthy lifestyle.  Try out different exercises until you find one that you love. Also, If you meet with some of your friends you can motivate each other and you will enjoy your activities more.

1. Get enough (good) sleep

Is it recommended to sleep seven to nine hours  per night in order to have the necessary energy for the next day. 

1. Try to keep stress low

Between school and work life might be stressful sometimes. Try to do some yoga to calm your nerves

1. Maintain healthy relationships

Maintaining strong and healthy friendships is really essential 

1. Don’t smoke, and drink alcohol in moderation

Living a healthy life means being mindful of what you put into your body. This includes alcohol and tobacco, both of which can bring complications in your health.

1. Be kind to yourself and have patience

You should always speak kindly to yourself, especially when you’re making a lot of major changes in your life. (HealthPartners )

8. Drink plenty of water 

Drinking enough water will keep you hydrated and aid digestion. ( FootHold)

9. Limit processed foods 

Processed foods, like packaged and frozen foods, that typically have fewer nutrients but more calories, fat, salt, and added sugars and they are not good for your body.. You should also limit yourself to drinking a lot of soda and sugar beverages.

10. Stay on top of health screenings and check-up

Regularly body and teeth check-ups are important to stay on top of your health (Healthline)

I asked Ella, a senior in the campus, if she thinks that having a healthy lifestyle is important, and if so, why, and what she does to follow a healthy lifestyle.

“Yes, having a healthy lifestyle is very important because physical health directly translates to mental health. When you feel good about the way you look and the things you can do, you have the ability to focus on other important aspects of your life, such as your schoolwork and social life. Having a healthy lifestyle as a teen is important because learning to be healthy while you are young ensures that you will have the skills and knowledge to maintain that health as you get older.” 

“For me, to have a healthy lifestyle, I make sure that I get plenty of exercise and pay attention to my diet. I am involved in sports, and when I’m not practicing, I work out and condition my body to make myself stronger and improve my stamina. I also focus on the things that I eat, including limiting, but never completely restricting, foods with little nutritional value. I still eat what makes me happy, but I try to balance it out with foods that I know will help to fuel and strengthen my body. I also make sure to drink plenty of water throughout the day and make an effort to spend time outside in the sun.”