Idaho Criminology Student Arrested

Maria Sofia Ferrer, Staff Writer

In Moscow, Idaho, the police have arrested a 28-year-old criminology student who they suspected to be responsible for the murder of four innocent college students.

The victims were found dead on Nov. 18, and they were then taken for an autopsy to determine the cause of their deaths. After the results, the doctors revealed that all of the four victims were fatally stabbed to death. Around the time of the murder, a witness, who is identified as one of the victim’s roommates, came to the police and stated that they saw a man wearing an all-black outfit inside their rental home, in which the police concluded that the man they suspected was Bryan Kohberger. 

The evidence that led the police to press charges against Kohberger for the murder of the 4 college students named: Kaylee Goncalves, Madison Mogen, Xanna Kernodle, and Ethan Chapin was DNA evidence: Kohberger’s white sedan car, phone location, and the witness itself.

After the body was recovered, the police found a tan leather knife laying on the ground, leading them to believe that it is the weapon that Kohberger used to stab the poor students. The authorities found a matched DNA profile that is linked to the knife that was recovered from the crime scene. This evidence created more suspicion that Kohberger is the key suspect for this case, making the police have a big reason to arrest him.

Additionally, investigators discovered footage that a white sedan was found around the students’ rental home. On Nov. 15, they inquired law enforcement to research more about this car, which then led them to learn that it is a white Hyundai Elantra. 

As days passed, police officers found that the Hyundai Elantra was registered to Kohberger, according to the affidavit. Then, CNN reports that a white Elantra was found at his residence on the day he got arrested. Thus, his vehicle being found nearby the victims home adds up as evidence for his arrest

The final evidence is that the investigators were able to track down the location of Kohberger’s phone, which was also found nearby the victims home, the affidavit says. Moreover, the affidavit recorded that the phone of the suspect was located after the murder occurred a few hours later. Seeing that the phone was found there around this specific time, it is evident that Kohberger’s possibility of being the murderer is high, which led to his arrest. 

After this big murder case, the town of Moscow has been in dread because they have never had a case such as this in 5 years. During a press conference, Bill Thomspon, who is the Latah County Prosecutor, believed that the suspect broke into the student’s home with the intent of committing murder. Knowing that this may be the case for Kohberger’s reason as to why he took away innocent lives, the people living in that small community are terrified that another murder case might happen again.

A once peaceful and quiet small town has now turned into a massacre of grief and murder due to the killings of four innocent college students. After the crime scene was reported, seven weeks later a suspect named Bryan Kohberger is finally arrested by the authorities and is now continuing a more further and deeper investigation.