Taking Care of Mental Health and Wellness Over Summer Break

Kaley Gottschling, Staff Writer

Summer break is an opening to give yourself time to focus on and maintain a healthy daily routine

As the school year comes to an end, students are fantasizing about their summer. Sometimes, the break from school doesn’t go as planned due to friends becoming distant, spending your weeks of freedom doing nothing, or canceling plans. Many teens have trouble adjusting to life after the consistent routine of school is taken away as well. The changes of summer break make it hard to stay motivated and take care of yourself. Making a routine to follow during summer is a technique to help yourself.

Going to bed and waking up at a reasonable time is, though unpopular amongst teenagers, a great start. This will help boost mood and energy. According to The American Academy of Sleep Medicine, ”Teenagers aged 13–18 years should sleep 8–10 hours per 24 hours.” Set an alarm to a nice, calming melody, and do not neglect the importance of a good sleep schedule.

Psychical activity is a great way to balance well-being during the summer. Going for a bike ride or a swim are easy ways to keep your body moving. It is also proven to improve your mental health. Monika Guszkowska, a Polish psychologist, states, “Exercise has also been found to alleviate symptoms such as low self-esteem and social withdrawal. Exercise is underestimated, but it truly helps and it gives you something to do with your free time.

For teenagers with depression, summer is often a challenge. It’s easy to get stuck in a pattern of isolation. Being alone all day has a negative effect on your social life and mental health. It is important to do something different every day so your days do not start blending together. Instead, use this free time to get out of the house and try new things. Volunteering opportunities are easy to find and having a summer job helps you meet new people. Make the most out of your summer!

Take care of yourself this summer by making time to keep your mind and body happy and healthy.