Fans Disappointed After Hearing That Frank Ocean Is Unable To Perform In Coachella 2023

Photo Courtesy of Billboard

Maria Sofia Ferrer, Staff Writer

All of the excitement from fans waiting to see Frank Ocean perform for the second time at Coachella suddenly began to plummet due to the immediate cancellation of his performance. 

The Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival took place at Empire Polo Club in Indio, California for weekend one: April 14-16, and on weekend two: April 21-23. During weekend one, Frank Ocean left the show abruptly after playing a few of his songs from his album “Blonde” and “Channel Orange.” Ocean says that he had to leave due to “local curfew rules”, according to Desert Sun, an entertainment publication. 

In the following weekend of Coachella, Ocean was supposed to perform on Sunday, April 23. After suffering an injury to his leg on festival grounds in the week leading up to weekend one, he was unable to perform the intended show but was still intent on performing. In a statement, he says, “There is some beauty in chaos. It isn’t what I intended to show, but I did enjoy it but I did enjoy being out there and I’ll see you.” According to Ocean’s doctor, he advises him to not participate in the event because he has two fractures and a sprain on his left leg, as stated by EW. Although he wishes to perform, this is something he does not have control over because going on stage might exacerbate this pain in his leg. 

Many of his fans in the venue were disappointed after hearing about this cancellation because they waited multiple hours just to see their artist perform. In an article by Entertainment Weekly, they state, “ Fans watching YouTube’s official Coachella livestream at home were shocked when, only a few hours before Ocean was scheduled to go on, YouTube announced that his performance would no longer be shown online, unlike those of the previous two nights’ headliners, Blackpink and Bad Bunny. Due to this sudden news, multiple of Ocean’s fans claim that he does not care about his supporters, without realizing that they waited several hours just to see him perform.

“I feel like Frank Ocean did it for his safety, but also I think he was wrong for that because many people were waiting to see him and wasted their time to go see him perform at Coachella and I just feel sad about it,” says Celia Caballero, a freshman at Thunderbird High School. Hearing this from Celia, there seems to be a shock for his fans to receive the news of Ocean not participating in Coachella Weekend 2. Although there was vast disappointment regarding his cancellation, history was still made regardless with Blackpink becoming the first Korean musical group to perform and headline in Coachella 2023 on Saturday night. Along with this, Bad Bunny also made incredible history for being the first Spanish-language artist to perform at the event, according to Billboard. Frank Ocean nearly made history as well for being the first gay artist to sing on stage. 

Many fans were thrilled to watch their favorite singer, Frank Ocean, live in Coachella; however, it did not really end well for them as they waited many hours just to be notified that Ocean canceled his performance.