Domestic Violence Cases Rise Since the Pandemic

Credit: US News

When the entire world was shut down in 2020 because of COVID-19, domestic violence cases suddenly increased by 25 to 33 percent across the world.

Data on domestic violence shows that victims usually stop reporting their abuse after their cries for help are blatantly ignored by police. This problem has gotten worse because the pandemic gave abusers more tools, chances, and opportunities to control their victims. Lockdowns and social distancing isolated people, potentially trapping victims with their abusers and making it harder to seek help. 

It has been proven countless times that women’s shelters, Domestic Violence organizations, and healthcare providers are more helpful to domestic violence victims than law enforcement. They are more likely to actually use their power to save victims. Although they are the most helpful, doctors and nurses are highly occupied with COVID-19 patients, which makes them less likely to be able to help domestic violence victims as they did before the pandemic. That means not many resources are available to help these victims. 

Job losses because of the pandemic added stress to households, which could escalate tensions and contribute to violence. For example, a woman in California was stuck in an abusive relationship with her husband and three children. The abuse worsened after he lost his job due to the pandemic. Lydia thought she had no way to escape her abuse. She told California Health Report “[she] was getting beat because he had no money because there was no meat at the market; everything became [her] fault, and [she] just became a punching bag”. Lydia eventually left her abusive relationship with the assistance of Human Services, they helped her get a new apartment and start a new life safe and away from her abusive husband. Although this woman survived her abuse, there are many women around the world who do not have the chances and opportunities to get away from their abuse. 

While the world advocates for women to be saved from abusive relationships, they tend to forget about the men who also get trapped in domestic violence relationships. 1 in 4 men have experienced a form of domestic violence by a significant other. However, abuse on men is often overlooked and they have less support than women do. Shockingly, a lot of people think a man being abused makes them weak. There should be 100% support for victims of abuse no matter the gender. If you or someone you know is experiencing domestic violence, call 800-799-7233