The Student News Site of Thunderbird High School

The Challenge

The Challenge

The Challenge

Picture of people’s conditions during the war in Gaza
The War in Gaza
April 22, 2024

Mortal Kombat 1 Strikes onto the Stage with Subpar Form

“Mortal Kombat” is a game recognized by many as one of the best fighting games we may ever get, with its bone-crunching fatalities as well as mechanics that put many other fighting games to shame. Recently, Mortal Kombat 1 has just struck the stage with amazing visuals and an even better roster than the last game, filled with iconic characters with more on the way. 

Storywise, this game starts where the last game left off. Mortal Kombat 1 picks off with Liu Kang being the new keeper of time. With Liu Kang resetting the timeline the story would start with Raiden and Kung Lao later featuring Johnny Cage, Sub-Zero, Scorpion, and more iconic characters Mortal Kombat fans know and love. This game reinvents certain characters in some fan’s opinions for the better. An example of a controversial remake of a character is Raiden. Many Of Mortal Kombat fans were expecting Raiden to stay the god of thunder. Raiden is now an underdog farmer who is chosen to be one of Earth’s champions don’t worry though more iconic characters such as Johnny Cage and more are very much the same as before while still feeling new and fresh. Other than the characters this story definitely stands up there as one of the best stories in the Mortal Kombat series with twists, new origins, and amazing scenes that had our jaws on the floor.

How is it different? Well, Mortal Kombat 1 redefines the series in brand new ways with things such as “Kameo Fighters” which will strike when activated which adds a whole new way to fight with the game now having new potential for different combos. Think of “Kameo Fighters” as a new way to get out of a combo or start one during our playtime “Kameo Fighters” had the capability to turn the tide in certain matches.  Combining someone into the air or “juggling” is now an option as characters can hit opponents into the air making it so they can’t land by repeatedly hitting them. This has been somewhat present in past games but is not as important in this game with some of the game’s fighters having combos specific to getting them in the air.

The roster is also very similar to the original but the first “Kombat Pack” has fans all over raving about Mortal Kombat 1’s new “Kombatants” three characters who are the most exciting to fans. These three are Omni Man from Invincible, Homelander from The Boys, and DC’s Peace Maker. These characters are bringing major attention to Mortal Kombat 1 with the announcement for these characters being the main reason some are buying Mortal Kombat 1.

Netherrealm Studios does an amazing job with this game and the professionals love it but does the general public like it? We asked Ms. Bergen, the student counselor, her thoughts on” Mortal Kombat”.  When asked who she played Ms. Bergen stated that she played Scorpion and Raiden when she played. Ms. Bergen has been playing Mortal Kombat since she was 8 with her 11-year-old brother at the arcade and at home on the Super Nintendo. She stated that her main reason for liking Mortal Kombat was always the fatalities as well as the combos and cheat codes in the original.  This helps us understand that the general public likes it.

While Mortal Kombat 1 is excellent it does fault in some ways.

We believe that Polygon puts this best in an article by Michael McWhirter where in the 

The article states “ Even after a four-year gap since Mortal Kombat 11, Mortal Kombat 1 feels like it needed a bit more time to cook.” playing the story on normal was excellent but needed a bit more of a challenge when we tried it on hard it was doable and felt amazing when you would beat a fight but felt like normal was a cakewalk in comparison. There are many times as well in the story where the game will throw you in as a character you may have never played before making it so you must learn them on the spot which may be fun to some who would love a challenge. Though the average player would have trouble we believe this could be fixed by adding a short basic skippable tutorial running over the character you are about to play. 

Another thing that broke the game immersion was the glitches on launch. These glitches went from minor inconveniences to causing problems with inputs. One glitch captured in a photo by Reddit user z0mbie86 shows a graphic glitch involving johnny cage’s face that would continue happening to the player no matter what they tried.

Overall Mortal Kombat 1 has its fair share of problems.”,”Although those problems exist Mortal Kombat is still a generation-defining game and will most likely stay that way as it has been around for a while as previously stated “Mortal Kombat” is and will always be a legendary game. The visuals in this game are top-notch as netherrealms have made them look better than ever before in the Mortal Kombat series. This game’s story reinvents the characters very well as well as makes the game feel fresh still with the “Kameo” fighters helping mix it up in ways previously not thought of because of all these reasons listed today we personally think the game is a worthwhile buy if you are a fan of the series or need to do something with friends or family.