Are Movie Sequels Just Quick Cash Grabs?

Over the last few years, the popularity in movie sequels has been on a rapid decline. To a collection of audience members, it seems as though they are made on a low budget, use bad CGI, or simply have a boring story. This leads to one question, are new movie sequels just quick cash grabs?

One common example of this problem is the movie, Star Wars: The Last Jedi. The reason why people thought it was simply a cash grab, was because it ruined favored characters and had an overall bad plot. Even with these controversies, however, the movie still made over 1 billion dollars in profit. A second and more recent example of a sequel ripoff is Megamind vs The Doom Syndicate. The movie faced a number of problems. Not only did it have horrible animation, but it also had none of the original actors from the first movie. In fact, many fans of the first movie decided to not even watch the second, after hearing all of the bad reviews.

While many sequels may seem to turn out bad, not all have ruined a franchise. In fact, some have even brought in more movie goers. One movie that was able to pull this off was Avatar: The Way of Water. After 13 years since the first movie, the sequel to Avatar was a huge win for fans of the series. It grossed over 2 billion dollars and was rated one of the best movies of the year. The difference between this movie and other sequels was the amount of care and dedication put into it. This led to the movie’s overall success.

With all that being said, are all movie sequels just quick cash grabs? In short, no. What movies and movie sequels are really dependent on is what’s put into them. If they have a low budget and are rushed, they will most likely flop. But if they’re given time, and developed in the best way possible, then they will go on to become a success.