Dads in Action: How a Group of Dads Work to Make School Safer

A portion of the dads that come in to help protect students. The dads must be both mentally and physically strong enough to accept the challenge of protecting schools and combating conflict in a healthy way. The dads are making schools a safer place for both students and teachers.
upworthy.com

Teachers and staff are becoming less able to protect students from violence. Behavior studies show household conditions affect students. If a student grows up with an absent parent, they are more likely to act out in the form of aggression. As all4kids.org states, “We know that children who grow up with absent fathers can suffer lasting damage. They are more likely to end up in poverty or drop out of school, become addicted to drugs, have a child out of wedlock, or end up in prison.” 

Dads on Duty is a program that allows fathers to volunteer to be on campus and resolve conflict amongst students. This program helps solve the emotional conflict of an absent household as it gives support to all students including those who are less fortunate. As upworthy.com states, “[w]ith a mix of tough love and humor, they make sure students get to class on time and keep everyone in line.” Fighting is typically caused by trauma related to households. Students with neglectful parents are more likely to commit violence. The dads’ jobs are to create connections with students in order to make them feel as if they have a fatherly figure to turn to in case of an altercation. 

A sophomore student at Thunderbird High School, Jocelyn Barret, says “Safe dads, safe schools, safe communities, safe lives.” When students grow up in safe households, they use stability to get through disagreements. If the student’s household is less fortunate, the student is more likely to feel unstable and act out when in an altercation. The support of the dads gives reassurance to all students. The dads show students that there is always a person who cares about them and their decisions. The support has made students stop fighting because they feel safer knowing that the dads have their backs when in a conflicting situation. 

According to upworthy.com, “Principal Kim Pendleton told KTBS that students love having these father figures at the school.” Dads on Duty should be a global program to ensure that all students get the support they need to be successful. When properly supported by an adult, students can accomplish anything. Students with healthy households tend to do better in school and attend college as they have more support systems to lean on in case of conflict. All students should have the opportunity to do big things in life and the dads help students in school stay composed during confrontation. At Thunderbird High School, students are supported by counselors, teachers, and staff. Students who have specific needs can receive help such as a 504 Plan or an IEP to ensure accommodations are met. Dads on Duty would do this while simultaneously taking stress off teachers and staff.