Thrift ‘Til Your Quarters Drop

Briana Quiroga Flores, Editor

The thrift gods have spoken, and Thunderbird High School has brought back its Clothing Closet as requested!

Last year Thunderbird High School partnered with Buffalo Exchange, a local thrift store, providing its students with the opportunity to purchase affordable and trendy clothing, shoes, and accessories as it opened up its very own thrift store, the Clothing Closet. The school’s thrift store was such a hit that it reopened last month and will continue to be open throughout the entire school year. The Clothing Closet is stationed outside in front of the media center during both lunches every Thursday and is operated by Ms. Ilardo, the school’s social worker, and her intern; however, students are slowly being given the opportunity to volunteer and help run the thrift store with Ms. Ilardo’s assistance, varying from freshmen to seniors. Students who have taken advantage of the opportunity have done a phenomenal job that it is not impossible or absurd to say that the Clothing Closet could possibly become student-operated in the future if students continue to show interest in volunteering, which could ultimately benefit students since it would give them the chance to earn more community service hours while also providing them with more hands-on learning experiences, similar to Thunderbird High School’s Thundershack. For instance, an anonymous senior reports that “since last year, [they] have had the opportunity to help run [the] school’s thrift store, and it has been such a fun and rewarding experience. [They have] improved [their] social skills and have also been able to encourage other students to buy second hand.” While thrifting has become more acceptable within the community, not all high school students are aware of the clothing and accessories’ great quality and prices; therefore, having interested students run the Clothing Closet is a great way for other students to be informed of the benefits of thrift shopping, and in general, it allows for students to easily interact with one another. 

The Clothing Closet is just as easy to shop at as it is to operate since it consists of two clothing racks and three to four bins completely stocked up with both men’s and women’s accessories. In addition, it is inclusive of both its sizes and styles. There is definitely something for everyone as T-shirts (short and long-sleeved), tank tops, button-downs, jeans, shorts, skirts, flannels, dresses, and more can all be found there and at low prices! An anonymous sophomore exclaims, “I purchased a blazer and a pair of slacks both in good condition from the Clothing Closet last week, and I have to say it was such a steal… like where else would that total to 50 cents?” As one can see, the Clothing Closet is an ideal place to go on a shopping spree and spend less than $5, considering that every item is sold for 25 cents. Students can also donate any of their clothing, shoes, and accessories they may no longer want or need, as well as request to Ms. Ilardo and to her assistant to shop the Clothing Closet’s items any day of the week after school.

If interested in volunteering or donating, feel free to reach out to Ms. Ilardo via email or in her office located in the A building, and do not forget to visit Thunderbird’s Clothing Closet during both lunches on Thursdays or any other day as requested and satisfy both yourself and its student volunteers with your shopping sprees. Drop the money and happy thrifting, Titans!