The New “Scholastic” Book Fair

The New “Scholastic” Book Fair

Briana Quiroga Flores, Editor

Do you remember that magical time of the year when the Scholastic Book Fair was back, and you would burst with excitement to buy trivial yet materialistic items that at the time meant everything? Well, Titans, you are in luck, as you no longer have to immerse in your childhood nostalgia because Thunderbird High School’s very own version of the Scholastic Book Fair is back and better than ever at our very own Media Center.

The Book Fair will be held from Monday, Apr. 17 to Friday, Apr. 21. Unlike your grade school book fairs, Thunderbird’s Book Fair will be brought to you by the Phoenix Book Company, a public book wholesaler that specializes in discounted books for children and young adults. Despite the different sponsors, the Book Fair will be just as magical and memorable, if not more. You can expect to see various items sold, ranging from YA literature to Manga to cookbooks to bookmarks, erasers, journals, stickers, pens, and posters at affordable prices with a trip down memory lane! Brian Luu, a senior and book fair enthusiast, asserts that “the Media Center’s Book Fair is the perfect place to relive childhood memories and make them come true now that we can purchase the items we once asked our parents for.” Kayla Flores, a junior and certified book lover, says that “the book deals here are quite the steal. They are unlike any other bookstore. For example, last year, I bought five books for $20, which is the price of one book alone at Target and Barnes & Noble.” If you enjoy reading and tend to purchase books, head over to the Book Fair to save money and discover newly written works. 

Mr. Fowler, Media Center and Book Fair Director, notes that at the Book Fair, there will be some exclusive books you cannot find anywhere else and that books by self-published authors and teens will be sold, too. He additionally claims that “the idea behind the Book Fair is to make books and other items accessible to students and their friends and family at affordable prices and free of taxes.” It does not get any better than this- affordable, tax-free books and miscellaneous fad items. There is no reason for you not to go because there is something for everyone to enjoy. This is a once-in-a-lifetime shopping experience, so Titans, be sure to check out this year’s Media Center Book Fair!