The Student News Site of Thunderbird High School

The Challenge

The Challenge

The Challenge

Picture of people’s conditions during the war in Gaza
The War in Gaza
April 22, 2024

“FATD”: Drake Album Review

Drake Story-FATD Album Cover. Photo Courtesy of Drakes Instagram @champagnepapi
Drake Story-FATD Album Cover. Photo Courtesy of Drake’s Instagram @champagnepapi

“For All The Dogs” marks Canadian rapper Drake’s eighth studio album and his first solo LP since “Honestly Nevermind” in 2022. The 84 minute masterpiece features an array of talented artists including, SZA, 21 Savage, and Bad Bunny. Drake’s ability to attract top talent contributes to his continued success as the rap king. 

The overall sound of “For All The Dogs” is a mixture of rap and R&B. Drake effortlessly switches between different genres and styles, keeping listeners engaged. The use of instruments, beats, and samples are stunning. For example, the first track on the album “Virginia Beach”, contains samples from singer Frank Ocean’s unreleased song “Wiseman”. One of the standout tracks on the album is “Calling For You” featuring rapper 21 Savage. This track combines a catchy hook with Drake’s signature wordplay. The lyrics are relatable and seem to suggest a feeling of yearning and calling out for someone. Another highlight of the album is “Daylight”. This song is a perfect image of Drake’s new voice and how he has matured over the years. Drake came up on American rap and borrowed that accent, but over the years he has been able to transition into his natural Toronto accent while still using foreign language in his songs sometimes.

An anonymous Senior shared their thoughts on the song, “Daylight is an instant classic, the sample of his son Adonis is fire and Drake’s bars are really clever and creative.”

As part of the album’s promotion, Drake released the single “Slime You Out’ featuring SZA. The track, which explores themes of failed relationships, garnered mixed reviews from fans and critics on social media. However, what overshadowed the release of the single was the controversy of the unauthorized use of actress Halle Berry’s image as cover art.

Slime You Out Single Cover. Photo Courtesy of Page Six

The image, taken at the 2012 Nickelodeon Kids’ Choice Awards, showed Berry being slimed, perfectly matching the title of the song. Berry was taken aback by the use of her image without permission. When questioned by fans about her thoughts on Drake using her photo, Berry expressed her disappointment via her Instagram, stating, “Didn’t get my permission. That’s not cool. I thought better of him!” The incident sparked a larger conversation about the value of courtesy and consent in the entertainment industry. 

Despite this controversy before the album was released, the album serves as a reminder of why Drake has become one of the most influential artists of his generation. Drake’s impact on the music industry is undeniable.

View Comments (1)