The Student News Site of Thunderbird High School

The Challenge

The Challenge

The Challenge

Picture of people’s conditions during the war in Gaza
The War in Gaza
April 22, 2024

Is “All I Want for Christmas is You” Really a Classic?

Mariah Carey defrosting for the holiday season. Photo Credit: Mariah Carey Youtube Channel.

All I Want for Christmas is You” by Mariah Carey is a song that every Christmas season seems to take the world by storm. This is the case as many fans of the song urge for it to be on the radio and it is played on repeat by many trying to get into the Christmas mood. It is claimed in multiple articles by news sites such as.com, billboard.com and more that Mariah Carey makes around 2 to 3 million a year from just this single Christmas hit. The real question we are asking today is “All I want for Christmas is you” actually a Christmas classic that has earned its popularity? We believe it is  timeless.

One of the main factors as to whether a song becomes popular or becomes a complete fail is the actual talent of the singer. Mariah Carey was well known before her Christmas hit with songs such as “Endless Love”, “My All”, and “Anytime You Need a Friend”. These songs show how Mariah Carey was already talented. So when it came to “All I Want for Christmas is You” fans of her knew it was going to be a classic.  These songs have all ranked fairly high on the Billboard 100 according to billboard.com. Mariah Carey has a lot of talent so listeners knew what she was cooking up was going to be amazing

A big reason why some songs become popular is relatability and said ability to feel like the song is describing your situation may enhance the listening for the audience of a song.

“All I want for Christmas is you” discusses the singer’s love for her significant other as the title says singing about how all they want for Christmas is said significant other. Love is a very common emotion most people in this world feel. In a study by Harvard Medical School, they discuss how love can release dopamine which can be “helping to make love a pleasurable experience similar to the euphoria associated with use of cocaine or alcohol”. This feeling is very well captured in  “All I Want for Christmas is You” making it a very relatable and overall happiness inducing song

This reason makes the song a very good listen for people who are head over heels for someone they know or are with.The reasoning for this is because it is a very romantic song that makes people think of their significant other which as listed earlier makes them happy.

Others have expressed feelings of hatred for songs like “All I Want for Christmas is You” the main reasoning behind those feelings of hatred that they harbor. This is usually because of how popular a song may become when someone may feel it didn’t deserve its recognition or popularity. When this happens fans of the song and others may argue over whether or not the song is good. “All I Want for Christmas is You” is a very well made song from a very talented artist. 

Mariah Carey when discussing the song says “My goal was to do something timeless, so it didn’t feel like the ’90s, which is when I wrote it,” she has also stated she did not anticipate for “All I Want for Christmas is You” to be as popular as it as and thanks all of her fans. Mariah Carey is very talented as well as working with veteran song writer Walter Afanasieff. This song had talent and expertise. It is no wonder why Mariah Carey rose to the top with “All I Want for Christmas is You” as it is very well earned.

Mariah Carey is a very talented and hardworking singer as discussed today. We personally believe that the Christmas classic status is well earned by “All I Want for Christmas is You”.