Don’t Let the Bed Bugs Bite During Recent Outbreak in Paris

Sleep is one of the most important things for the human body. However, in recent weeks this comfort of Paris citizens has been attacked by the pest we call bed bugs.

A bed bug resurgence has occurred in Paris due to the pests adapting to the usual chemicals and pesticides that are used to wipe them out. Photos and videos showcasing the nasty critters on the Paris Metro, trains, theaters, and airports have caused many people to go into a panic. 

An article by Anne Pouzargues from wired.com states: “Bedbug numbers in France have surged in 2023. There’s been a 65 percent increase in pest control visits for the insects across the country this year compared to last, says France’s Union Chamber of Insect Control.”

This increase is not exclusive to the city of Paris. People and planes are constantly on the move and the rise of the number of bed bugs in not only Paris but everywhere can be attributed to the increase of tourists coming and going. Based on costs from Expedia, some economy-class international flights can cost as little as 150 dollars per person. 

Pesticide companies must adapt to the increased amount and resistance of bed bugs. Most of the pests have evolved to resist most pesticides, including DDT. To counteract this change, mechanical solutions like steam treatment, extreme heat, or extreme cold have become a more popular treatment.

However, the decrease in chemical pesticides may not be a bad thing. When chemicals are used, homes and hotels can be vacated for a minimum of an entire week. Meanwhile, a blog from americanpest.net states that the use of heat of up to 48°C, or 118°F, for only an hour and a half can kill all bed bugs in an average home. 

Due to extreme heat not always being practical in some places, the use of extreme cold is also an option. According to Sarah Zielinski in an article published by ScienceNews, all it takes to kill bed bugs is 80 hours at temperatures of -16°C, or 3.2°F.

Not everyone can afford these new ways of treatment. According to Alex Hawkins in an article from marketwatch.com, heat treatment can cost $1-3 dollars per square foot, cold treatment is 3$-$6 per square foot, and steam treatment is $2-7.50 dollars per square foot.

The average household in Phoenix is 1,832 square feet, with the average Phoenix apartment being 800 to 900 square feet. Even if you price each solution for the average home at their lowest costs, heat treatments, cold treatments, and steam treatments, could cost $1832, $5496, and $3664  respectively. 

If you are unlucky enough to be bitten by bed bugs; do not worry. Most bites heal in one to two weeks. As stated by Brenda Smith, Thunderbird’s school nurse: “For a toddler or anyone that cannot stop touching and itching areas, they should be covered such as wearing long sleeves/pants. Typical soothing medications can be used such as hydrocortisone cream/lotion. An oral antihistamine (allergy pill like diphenhydramine, if okayed by Dr.) can also be given.” While it may itch, someone who scratches bed bug bites too much can develop a secondary skin infection, as well as introduce bacteria into the site.

Mosquitoes, like bed bugs, take in blood from humans. To be able to differentiate their bites is simple. Bed bug bites are much more clustered up and can sometimes be linear. Their bites usually appear on the lower parts of your body like your side or back. Meanwhile, mosquito bites are random and can appear almost anywhere on your body.

With the Winter season already here, your bed is one of the most comfortable places to warm up; if the bed bugs do bite, make sure you know what to do.