Removal of Homeless Encampments in Arizona

The bill to set course on the removal of all homeless encampments in Arizona has now advanced to the state capitol for judging. Arizona representatives are working to push homeless people off of the streets and out of alleys into shelters. “A bill to crack down on homeless encampments in Arizona has advanced to the state capitol after the Senate Judiciary Committee passed the measure.” The motivation for this bill comes from wanting people to get the help they need as well as cleaning up the streets, preventing people from discarding anything from trash to waste on community and private property. “Republican State Senator Justine Wadsack of Tucson sponsored the bill.”Senate Bill 1593 would require the removal of a homeless encampment in a city or county if other indoor shelter options exist; This past spring, the city of Phoenix was court-ordered to clear out its largest homeless encampment, The Zone. The city’s Office of Homeless Solutions had to tackle the difficult, oftentimes painful and complicated issue of moving nearly 1,000 unhoused people, and their possessions, off the streets where some had been living for years.” We have places for people to go to get everything they need, and yet they’re being told that they have a right to urban camp” SB 1593 does not include housing solutions or creating new shelter for people living on the streets.