Was killing Batman the right choice?

(Courtesy of Rocksteady games)
(Courtesy of Rocksteady games)

Batman is one of the most iconic characters of pop culture since the character’s release in Detective Comics (DC) No.27 In May of 1939. The city of Gotham as well as Batman has had a lot of adaptations over the years. With some of the best of these being animated.

This is where Voice actor Kevin Conroy comes in. As a fan favorite voice for Batman. According to an article published by NPR written by Glen Weldon “[Kevin] voiced the Caped Crusader on Batman: The Animated Series from 1992 to 1996, as well as in 15 films, 15 animated series and two dozen video games.”

Kevin died at 66 years old in late 2022. Recently released game Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice League featured one of the last voice performances from the late great Kevin Conroy. Set in the same universe as the beloved Arhkam Batman games many fans were upset with how they Killed Batman in Suicide Squad: Kill The Justice league.

Freshman student Xavier Ridley commented” I mean I wasn’t the most upset it felt in character for the main characters(The Suicide Squad) to kill him like that.” Xavier then after being asked if it should have been in the same timeline as the arkham games said that” I felt that it didn’t make sense to put it in the Arkham games I mean sure it gave more reason to get the game but it just felt weird. I felt this way because [The Suicide Squad Kills The Justice League] was a different game than the Arkham games.” 

This sentiment is very much echoed throughout the rest of the community with how they felt. In a google review fan of Arkham games Seth Wilson states”In no way shape or form does suicide squad establish what the Arkham games offered including attention to detail, combat, enemy variety, world building, story, and even polish”. Making many fans feel like this game is a quick cash grab baiting nostalgia from the Arkham game’s legacy and reputation.   But this doesn’t tarnish the Arkham Games legacy as they are still playable and enjoyable.

Sometimes media doesn’t go how we want it to. In a quote by Wayne W Dyer “If you change the way you look at things, the things you look at change”. This quote is a perfect example of how even though we don’t like something if you look at it from a different perspective it really isn’t going to ruin the experience. Many people have grown fond of the Arkham games. In the end entertainment will always change and this is okay as we will always have the originals.