Thunderbird Boys Basketball’s Outstanding Season

Thunderbird Boys Basketballs Outstanding Season

Thunderbird Boy’s Basketball season ended with a hard loss against the Mesquite Wildcats in the second round of the 4A playoffs.  This team possessed great talent, finishing the regular season 17-1, and remaining undefeated at home. With such a successful season, they won the Region Team of the Year Award. This team is one of the best Thunderbirds in the past 20 years. Most impressively, this team gave Thunderbird its first regional boys basketball victory since 2011, when these young men were still in elementary school and just starting to fall in love with basketball. 

After the game, emotions ran high in the locker room as seniors realized it was the last time they would ever play together as a team. Senior Paris Strozier Jr. stated: “This team was the best team I could have asked for. I love these guys through thick and thin, and I wish I didn’t take this time for granted.” It was a powerful moment to see a senior soaking it all in, realizing his high school career has come to an end.

It was a successful season, to say the least, but some individual stories especially stood out. Senior Ryan Calcaterra, William Clark, and Paris Strozier got All-Region First Team. Senior Aiden Rampley got the All-Region Second Team. Senior Chase Benson, junior Kellen Bradix, and senior Kanai Tapp all got honorable mentions. To add to this success, William Clark also got his second All-Region Defensive Player of the Year Award by showcasing his strength and speed to stop anyone in front of him from scoring the ball. A truly talented group put their talents together and put on a show for everyone to watch.

This group of young men had one of the most successful seasons this program has ever seen and proved to everyone Thunderbird is a force to be reckoned with in the sport of basketball for years to come.