The Student News Site of Thunderbird High School

The Challenge

The Challenge

The Challenge

Boycotts at Starbucks and McDonald’s

Photo Courtesy of NewsWeek

You may have noticed everywhere you see there are boycotts regarding Starbucks. Primarily this has blown up all over TikTok in the last 30 days. McDonald’s is also getting some backlash since the beginning of November.This boycotting is happening because of the Israel- Hamas war. Each company has tried to separate themselves from the conflict, but pro- Palestinian voices have continued to call out what they think is corporate support for Israel.

“Those calls have generally focused on two companies: McDonald’s and Starbucks. Although each company has sought to distance itself from the conflict and issued statements saying they don’t support or donate to Israel’s government or military, that has done little to quell boycott calls online.” according to NBC news. The situation has been going on since November and still, continues to rise on social media and TikTok.“Starbucks and the union organizing its workers are now suing each other in federal court over a social media post that was sent out by the workers’ union supporting Palestinians in light of the Israel-Hamas war.” Coming from northjersey.com. Starbucks has been blamed for supporting terrorism and violence because of this. “The popular refrain to boycott Starbucks and McDonald’s originated online, starting not long after the conflict itself.” According to northjersey.com This whole conflict has begun online and just continues to grow over time.