Earhart’s Plane Found

Sonar images of a plane underwater believed to be Amelia Earhart’s. Credit: Getty

Amelia Earhart was an American aviation pioneer and a women’s rights activist. She made it her goal to be the first woman to fly a plane in different scenarios like over the Atlantic and over the pacific alone. Though when she attempted the latter in 1937, her plane abruptly crashed into the ocean and it has become a great mystery to Americans. 

One specific man, Tony Romeo, had dedicated a portion of his life and many savings to find her plane. Being a real estate agent, he sold his company to buy equipment to accomplish his mission along with 16 crew members. “This is maybe the most exciting thing I’ll ever do in my life,’ said Romeo. 

Over 100 days, Romeo and his crew scanned 5,200 square miles of ocean floor between Papua New Guinea and Hawaii and used equipment like a drone to go so far as to travel 19,700 feet in depth to the ocean floor.

Three months into their trip, a sonar image of what is believed to be a plane was taken from the ocean floor. It was posted to Instagram and everyone very strongly agrees that it is the plane Earhart used: Lockheed 10-E Electra.

The crew’s next mission is to avenge it from the water and investigate it to see where the flight went wrong. This could, possibly, uncover an 87 year long mystery.