The Student News Site of Thunderbird High School

The Challenge

The Challenge

The Challenge

Picture of people’s conditions during the war in Gaza
The War in Gaza
April 22, 2024

Thunderbird Stu-Go Attends First Convention

Charlie Peacock, Student Body treasurer, said that a Stugo convention in high school is a gathering of student government organizations from different schools. Typically, it is organized by a state or regional board, and representatives from various schools come together to share ideas and strategies for improving their student government. The convention may include workshops on leadership development, team building, event planning, and other skills relevant to student government. It may also include opportunities for competitions or awards for outstanding individuals or schools. The Stugo convention is a valuable opportunity for students to network, learn from their peers, and bring new ideas back to their own schools. Jazmin, Stugo’s member, said that Stugo is short for student government in American high schools. This organization consists of students elected by their peers who represent student interest to the school administration and organize events and activities for the school. Students who are members of Stugo are often involved in extracurricular activities and are responsible for encouraging student participation in school life. Stugo members represent student interests and help run the school. Their activities include planning school events, organizing fundraising campaigns, attending meetings with school leadership, organizing volunteer projects, managing school improvement projects, representing students on school boards and other school committees, and advocating for student rights. In addition, Stugo provides opportunities for students to develop leadership skills and teamwork. She also added that Stugo members are currently busy preparing for homecoming and making posters and decorations to decorate the school walls the week of Homecoming. Homecoming season is one of the most important times of the year for student government. Stugo members work together and collaborate with teachers, school staff and other students to plan and organize Homecoming, making sure the event is fun, memorable and safe. Here is how Stugo is organizing for Homecoming:

As a first cos formed an organizing committee: a group of representative students from the to plan and organize Homecoming. This group , made up of seniors, will meet regularly to discuss and make decisions about the event. They first plan the theme, which may include choosing school colors, costumes, decor, activities, and games. After that, they choose a date that works for all students and school staff and select an appropriate venue for Homecoming, such as a gymnasium, ballroom, or sports field. They also make sure to find a DJ or band as the organizing committee will choose the entertainment for Homecoming, decide what will be served during the evening, such as pizza, hot dogs, or coffee, and promote the evening by creating flyers, social media announcements, appeals to students in classes, and promotional videos. Homecoming planning requires a lot of work and collaboration between the Stugo, teachers, school staff and other students. However, with the right organization and careful planning, Homecoming can be a fun and memorable event for everyone.

Concerning the convention Charlie said that the main purpose of a Stugo convention is to create an opportunity for student members of Student Government to work together, exchange ideas, gain new skills and gain new perspectives on their role in the school and local community. Stugo conventions, usually held at the regional or state level, provide opportunities to attend workshops and training meetings, participate in competitions and entertainment, and interact with other student representatives from different schools. In this way, students are able to gain experiences and ideas on student life management, resource management, and promoting an equitable and healthy school environment. In addition, Stugo conventions are a great opportunity to gain skills in leadership, communication, time management and problem solving, as well as to build networks with other students from across the region or nation. Charlie said that students dressed up as cartoon characters during the first conventions and that not all the schools do that, it just  depends on the specific Stugo convention and the traditions of the school or region organizing the event. In some cases, the use of television cartoon costumes might be part of entertainment or spirit week activities to promote cohesion and a sense of belonging among student representatives from different schools. In other cases, it could be a way to lighten the atmosphere and create a fun and playful atmosphere that helps students bond with each other. In general, the use of costumes or thematic clothing during Student Government conferences is a common tradition and a way for students to express their creativity, personality, and sense of humor.

Jasmine said that when they have to decide something, in this case it was necessary to decide on the costumes of which TV cartoon to wear, they follow a specific process. The decision of the theme is usually made by the group of students called the Organizing Committee. This committee consists of a group of representative students who meet to discuss different theme options and reach a common agreement. The theme selection process usually begins with the identification of ideas, which can be gathered through surveys, brainstorming, or suggestions sent by Stugo members. After collecting a number of ideas, Stugo representatives analyze them and choose a list of the best ones. Then, the Celebration Organizing Committee meets to discuss the identified theme options and select the most promising one based on a set of criteria, which may include factors such as originality, audience interest, budget, feasibility, and consistency with Stugo’s mission. At the end of the brain-storming, the students decided to represent the characters from Shrek, as it was the option most voted for by Stugo members.