What it Takes to be Part of Thunderbird Girls Volleyball Team

Thunderbird Varsity Volleyball Team. Photo Courtesy of thsvolleyballprogram Instagram.

Varsity Volleyball has a lot to handle with being worked hard at practices, games, and tournaments. Bailey Thornton said “it changes every week, but practices are around 4 p.m. with an hour of weights”. Practices run until 7 p.m. and are every day except for Sunday. There are multiple games a week with tournaments as well. If they have an away game, sometimes they get to leave from school early to make it there in time. 

Since the team is always busy with practice and games, there is not a lot of time for homework. Adele Jennings said the hardest part of handling volleyball and school is finding time to do homework. If the game goes to 5 sets, the team might not get home until late that night. 

The Volleyball team spends a lot of time together. For Bailey Thornton, the best part of Volleyball season is getting to hangout with friends every day. Bus rides, team bonding, and time before practice is fun for everyone on the team.

This team has played 21  games and has a record of 17-4. So far they have competed in two tournaments. One of their seniors, Malia Parris, has been in the program for four years. She is one of the setters on the team. Recently she has hit a milestone of 1,000 career assists. This is a huge accomplishment.