Matt Rife Ignites Backlash Over Controversial Joke About Domestic Violence

Matt Rife comedy show at the DAR Constitution Hall in Washington DC.
 Photo Courtesy of NBC News.
Matt Rife comedy show at the DAR Constitution Hall in Washington DC. Photo Courtesy of NBC News.

Stand-up comedian Matt Rife, known for his comedy specials and previous role on battle rap improv TV show “Wild ‘n Out”, recently faced extreme backlash after he joked about domestic abuse on his Netflix comedy special “Natural Selection”. The Netflix special, which premiered on Nov 15, opened with a joke about domestic abuse, sparking outrage and backlash from viewers. Rife’s sarcastic response to the criticism further fueled the controversy, with many finding it disrespectful and offensive to domestic violence survivors.

In the beginning of the special, Rife recounts a story set in a Baltimore restaurant where he and a friend encounter a server with a black eye. The joke revolves around the idea that if the server could cook, she would not have had a black eye. Rife introduces the joke as a test to gauge the audiences; response, stating that if they can handle domestic violence humor, the rest of the show should be smooth sailing. Following the release of his Netflix special, social media platforms like Instagram and TikTok were flooded with criticism directed at Matt Rife for his insensitive joke. Many users expressed disappointment and labeled the joke as misogynistic, especially considering Rife’s predominantly female fan base. Some felt betrayed, as they felt Rife built his platform by catering to the female audience. 

In response to the backlash, Rife took to his Instagram story to issue a sarcastic apology. He directed those offended by his joke to an “official apology” that led them to a website that sold helmets for people with special needs. His response only added fuel to the fire, with many finding his fake apology disrespectful and distasteful. 

The controversy surrounding Rife’s joke and response has provoked intense debate online. Critics argue that Rife used his platform to pander to toxic masculinity, going against the expectations of a female-dominated fan base. Others defended Rife, stating that as a comedian there are no limits when it comes to jokes and that jokes should not be taken too seriously. 

This is not the first time Rife has faced controversy over his comedy. Earlier this year, he received widespread criticism over making vulgar comments about women’s bodies during a podcast appearance. Reflecting on the backlash, Rife expressed surprise and defended his intent to entertain rather than offend. As with any comedian, Matt Rife’s intent is to make  his audience laugh, but the line between entertainment and disrespect is subjective. The fallout from this controversy raises questions about the responsibility of comedians and the impact their jokes can have on their audience. 

View Comments (1)